COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Response: Click Here
Healthy Breakfast: Rainbow Egg and Veggie Muffins
Eggs are an excellent way to start your day off right. Making these delicious and healthy breakfast egg muffins is simple, quick, and perfect for families on the go. Involving the kids in the cooking process is also a fun way to teach them to make lifelong healthy food choices and have fun at the same time. Cook these on the weekend and store them in the refrigerator for easy breakfast options throughout the week as you head out the door.
For more information on the benefits of eggs, visit a past Healthy Belly, Happy Child post Start Your Day Right: Why Breakfast is Essential.
✿ Eggs are an excellent source of:
- Inexpensive protein: Important for muscle and tissue repair and sustained energy
- Monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats: Help to stabilize blood cholesterol levels and lower overall risk of heart disease
- Vitamins A and D: Important for eye health (Vitamin A) and the optimum absorption of calcium (Vitamin D)
- Regulate Insulin: Help regulate insulin, keeping blood sugar levels within a healthy range
- 8 eggs
- 1/2 cup of milk
- Veggies of choice: we used broccoli, mushrooms, carrots, cherry tomatoes
- Cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Butter or olive oil for greasing muffin pan
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Chop the broccoli, mushrooms, and cherry tomatoes
- Grate the carrots and cheese
- Crack the eggs into a large bowl and add salt and pepper to taste
- Add milk and whisk until combined
- Add chopped and grated vegetables and whisk until combined
- Grease muffin pan
- Spoon the combined mixture into each muffin cup
- Bake for 15-17 minutes and enjoy!