Medicare Information


Medicare offers health coverage to people age 65 and older, people with permanent disabilities, and people with specific illnesses.

Who can get it?

  • Individuals 65 years and older
  • Individuals under 65 years who have received Social Security/Railroad Retirement disability benefits for 24 months
  • Individuals under 65 years who have disabilities, permanent kidney-failure or amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (Lou Gehrig’s disease)

How much does it cost?

  • Part A (Hospital Coverage):
    • Premiums vary depending on work history and when you enroll
    • Annual benefit period deductible, no limit to number of benefit periods
    • Coinsurance fees apply on the 61st day and vary depending on the number of days in the hospital thereafter
    • Late enrollment and skilled nursing facility fees
  • Part B (Doctor Visits):
    • Monthly premium based on modified adjusted gross income
    • Deductible – per year, Coinsurance – 20% of Medicare approved charge per service
  • Part D (Prescription Drug Program):
    • Premiums and deductibles vary depending on which plan you choose.
    • Programs available for low-income people on Medicare to pay for premiums, deductibles, and coinsurance

What is required?

Citizenship or legal permanent residence (5 years or more)

What is covered?

Part A (Hospital Coverage):
Hospital care, skilled nursing facility care, nursing home care, hospice care, home health services, etc.
Part B (Doctor Visits):
Most outpatient services (lab tests, routine physicals, dental or eye exams, surgeries, and doctor visits), ambulance services, durable medical equipment (DME), mental health, etc.
Part D (Prescription Drug Program):
Medicare Health plans are available, (which may have a premium), to cover medicines

Where do I go for care?

  • LA County DHS hospitals and clinics
  • Any provider who accepts Medicare

Where do I apply?

  • Any Social Security Administration office

For more information, click here or call (800) 772-1213 or (800) 633-4227. You may also visit any Social Security Administration office.